I’ve been contemplating posting this so I just said fuck it and did. (via cummingcourtesy)
16 Things I Learned Before I Turned 17
1. We don’t always end up with the people that we are “destined” to be with. Fate and all of that is complete and utter bullshit. You are with who you choose to be with.
2. Nobody is going to kiss your scars, come to your window at 4 am or love you unconditionally like some cliché John Green book. You have to be your own hero. You are going to have to save yourself, even if the person you’re saving yourself from is you.
3. Everyone is not going to like you. That’s okay though because there will only be a few people in this world worth your time anyway.
4. Don’t tell every boy you meet your life story. You’re a book that they can stop reading any time they want. Don’t skip to the good parts or the ending. Let that person you meet find out your silly little habits and how you drink your coffee.
5. People are going to walk in and out of your life, you just have to be strong enough to move on and keep going.
6. Let the past go. It’s in the past for a reason.
7. Don’t expect every person you meet to treat you like your asshole ex did. Stay positive and be patient. There are good people in this world and you will find them.
8. Don’t trust just anybody. Those who gossip and talk about others to you could be doing just the same behind your back.
9. That young man you met when you were 16 and spilled your secrets to, gave your heart to until there was none left for yourself is just 1 person in this world. There’s millions more out there who will treat you like the princess that you deserve to be treated.
10. Get up every day for school, I know it’s hard but every one has to go through it. You have the weekends to sleep till 3 pm.
11. Go for nature walks and become one with your surroundings. Lay down on the grass, let the wind mess up your hair and smell some daisies. Love the earth as much as it loves you.
12. Be good to yourself. Take long bubble baths, light yourself candles, make yourself dinner and spoil yourself. Take care of yourself, trust me, you deserve it.
13. Read new books all of the time. Find something that completely fascinates you. Learn new things and let them captivate you.
14. Take silly pictures of yourself when you’re happy, they’ll make you smile when you’re sad.
15. Always be honest no matter how much you want to lie because false hope fucking hurts more than anything.
16. Love yourself. Make yourself happy. Be independent. Don’t hurt yourself anymore, you are the one person who should love themselves more than anything. Take care of yourself as much as your body cares for you. Accept yourself for who you really are.
Life lessons my mother has taught me from the side of her hospital bed (part 2/2 of a series) /// r.i.d (via inkskinned)
1. Who you are now is not who you will be in 10 years. It is okay to be somebody new 10 minutes from now. We are always learning. We are always growing. If you realized 10 seconds ago that you don’t like who you are, shed your skin, retry, replant yourself in good soil.
2. Cleaning is instant therapy. When your brain is muddy, take a shower, wash your hands, change your clothes. Spend 15 minutes straightening your living room. When you are angry, scrub things. I know it’s crazy but it works instantly.
3. Forgive someone’s debt if it’s under 50 dollars, forgive the small things, give a little time to yourself and forgive the big things too. Forgiveness isn’t about the other person, it’s about you. That being said - if someone ever hurts you in a way that would make me cry to know, you get out of there, my love. You just get up and go.
4. Gum karma is real and if you spit out a piece in public expect to find some on your shoe in the future. Same goes for insults and harsh judgement, too.
5. Do what you love and the money will follow.
6. Live your life with an open palm and give as much as you can and as often. At some point in your life, someone will lend you 50 bucks when you’re down on your luck. Remember how that feels. Remember to give that back.
7. Always wear clean underwear. You’ll thank me later.
8. There is a difference between being kind and being passive and there are those who cannot see that difference. They will try to walk all over you. Never bend your knees for those who do.
9. Have faith. Have faith in god or people or yourself or science or in luck or in all of the above. Faith is what keeps us going, faith is what keeps us strong.
10. Pay your bills on time whenever you can, although money is nothing. Remind yourself that.
11. Do not forget you were once ignorant of all you know now. Be patient of anyone who hasn’t had the education you have. Speak at the level of the person you are with - it’s not playing dumb, it’s being considerate. There’s no reason to make them feel uncomfortable. Plus then when someone starts going off about their superior IQ, you can cut them to pieces and watch their face when you do.
12. You are the best person in the room for one particular thing, and that’s confidence. You are the worst person in the room for another thing, and that’s humility. Use both carefully.
13. Never make fun of someone’s beliefs or superstitions, let your kid keep their imaginary friend and let your best buddy believe in knocking on wood. We all have security blankets. Don’t take away someone else’s.
14. Try to learn something new every day.
15. The worse you look, the more likely you are to run into someone you know so instead of feeling awkward, learn to be confident in sweats while talking to your friends.
16. Never go to bed angry, it will ruin your sleep and make tomorrow even harder. Find a way to relax. Don’t let today get to your head.
17. Think before you speak. When someone says something, mull over their words before answering. This is called listening, it is different than hearing.
18. What keeps love beautiful is that there’s risk involved. If he breaks your heart and it doesn’t hurt, it wasn’t love in the first place.
19. Never let someone else determine who you are or how happy. You are too strong to be torn apart.
20. I love you, even when we are fighting, even when I am fast asleep. Don’t doubt it for an instant. You are my everything.